The Tak Kah Chia motley crew
Hihi...

Welcome to The Tak Kah Chia motley crew forum and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Keep on rollin'

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hihi...

Welcome to The Tak Kah Chia motley crew forum and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Keep on rollin'
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» OCBC Safe Cycling Campaign
Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 am by auhcyelnats

» Siloso Beach Party - countdown to 2013 New Year's Eve party
Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 3:43 am by Chemicalbooze

» True 10-speed drivetrains
Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 pm by auhcyelnats

» Buyer's guide to mountain bike suspension, part 1
Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 5:14 am by auhcyelnats

» Evaluations of Full Suspension Mountain Bike Designs
Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:21 am by auhcyelnats

Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour

3 posters

Go down

Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour Empty Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour

Post by auhcyelnats Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:13 am

Let's do our part and adhere to the rules, shall we?

Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour
Cyclists agree many among them do not follow traffic rules

Published on Aug 23, 2012
By Jessica Lim

We are not the only ones guilty of bad behaviour, say motorists. This resounding message was repeated in numerous e-mails received by The Straits Times after the death of cyclist Freddy Khoo last Saturday.

The Straits Times and its citizen journalism portal Stomp received more than 50 e-mails - some with videos and photos attached - from motorists highlighting acts by errant cyclists.

A video sent to Stomp on Tuesday showed a cyclist beating a red light in Tampines and narrowly missing a taxi before colliding with a motorcycle.

Other videos and photos showed cyclists hogging the middle lane of the road, riding against the flow of traffic or cycling three abreast - all in violation of traffic rules. Forums such as hardwarezone.com.sg are abuzz with stories and photographs from frustrated motorists.

Rules guiding bicycles under the Road Traffic Act
auhcyelnats
auhcyelnats
Lance Corporal TKC-ian

Back to top Go down

Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour Empty Re: Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour

Post by netnet Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 am

I think there should be some correction to be made!

I would say most of the Singapore cyclists are following the rules, taking the necessary precautions.

Those terrible cyclists are mainly PRCs, Banglasdesh workers, or so-called "foreign talents" Evil or Very Mad

They are usually cycling in the opposite direction of traffic, without lights at night, swaying in and out of vehicles on the road.
netnet
netnet
Private TKC-ian
Private TKC-ian

Back to top Go down

Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour Empty Re: Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour

Post by auhcyelnats Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:44 am

Tai Woon, founder of ILoveCyclingSG is planning to speak at the speaker's corner somewhere next month on behalf of the cycling community. Let's see what happens then. Smile
auhcyelnats
auhcyelnats
Lance Corporal TKC-ian

Back to top Go down

Post by netnet Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:51 am

Oh... Really Question

Plus we have too many "converted licenses" on the road. All the ah "nei"s and ah "tiong"s who dun understand Singapore traffic rules and signs.
netnet
netnet
Private TKC-ian
Private TKC-ian

Back to top Go down

Post by Chemicalbooze Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:14 am

hmmm...well....i think there are many times more instances of errant motorists on the road than cyclist.... anyway what is it to these motorist? Can an errant cyclist actually cause hurt to them? Aren't accident preventable by people having more patience, situational awareness and being gracious on the road? Well cyclist also consist of kids and teens who are young and reckless as most of us once were... so such accidents are such to happen as more people take up cycling... though there are good traffic rules which we all try to adhere to, we should still expect the unexpected in order to prevent hurting/killing someone... most accidents especially the minor ones are rooted from impatience, narrow-minded pride, anger and mostly taking for granted that everyone follow the rules..

I got to admit though, i am one of those angry drivers at times..and after a few outburst and subsequent self reflection on such incidents... i realized the foolishness of such behavior.. ... so such outburst became fewer in between..

The reason why i fear riding on the roads and rather break the law n ride on pavements is cos i fear reckless drivers like i was and...yess....retribution!!!! hahahahahahah!!!

pirat
Chemicalbooze
Chemicalbooze
Recruit TKC-ian
Recruit TKC-ian

Back to top Go down

Motorists say errant cyclists also to blame for bad road behaviour Empty Let's Stop the Blame Game

Post by auhcyelnats Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:47 am

Share your thoughts, TKC-ians...

Let's Stop the Blame Game
Story by Dean Koh. Photos by Straits Times Online & The New Paper - 24th Aug 2012

Context

There has been a recent spate of news reports, articles and discussions on the issue of cyclists’ safety and the roles of both cyclists and motorists on the roads. This was due to the recent death of cyclist Freddie Khoo and two letters sent to the relevant authorities expressing frustration with regards to the struggles cyclists face and seeking help to alleviate the situation.

Issues

Pay taxes=right to use the road?

The whole debate of who (cyclists or motorists) has the right to road use is not new. Sure, road tax costs a bomb here but that does not mean motorists are the only ones who have the right to use the roads. Doesn’t the Highway Code preach caution at all times?

The double bind of cyclists

Most of us who have been cycling here for some time should be able to relate to this. On one hand, we were told that pavements were only for pedestrians. And yes, I have friends who were fined because they were caught riding on pavements but I guess $20 is a small price to pay for safety. So it appears that the alternative for the cyclist is to ride on the road, which presents another set of problems. There is a Chinese saying, “the road is like a tiger’s mouth”, which is an analogy to how dangerous the roads are. While it may be possible to go faster on the roads, cyclists always have the irking fear that some vehicle might sweep and drag them or knock them down. The result is that the cyclist is put in a situation of being in “no man’s land”. It is frustrating.

Bicycle lanes

The existing pragmatic and economic justification is that the roads in Singapore are too narrow to add bicycle lanes for cyclists. Roads need to be ‘optimized’ for motorists and ‘economic’ activities. But it is probably an excuse as I have been in a suburban part of Japan recently where the roads are so narrow, yet , to my surprise, there has been some, though little allowance and demarcation of space for a separate bicycle lane. A possible and viable suggestion here in Singapore is to have painted on bicycle lanes on routes which are cyclist-heavy.

Compromises and solutions

Although the government has just pledged to ‘do more for cyclist safety’, the road/route to a harmonious relationship between cyclists and motorists is still a very long one. As mentioned on our Facebook page before, “it’s not about who pays or doesn't pay taxes, why there are no bicycle lanes or whatever. It's about a basic respect for the lives of others, whether you are a rider, driver, or both”.
auhcyelnats
auhcyelnats
Lance Corporal TKC-ian

Back to top Go down

Post by auhcyelnats Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 am

If this is applied to all towns locally, then there would not be any fuss, isn't it?

Keeping cyclists safe: Tampines shows the way
But cycling town model may not work nationwide

Published on Aug 25, 2012
By Jessica Lim

On weekday mornings in the heart of the cycling town of Tampines, dozens of bicycles can be seen zipping along the wide pedestrian walkways and bicycle lanes. Cyclists young and old, some with handlebar-mounted baskets stuffed with groceries, chat with pedestrians at traffic lights.

It is a sight that once might have been considered inconceivable in a nation where bicycles are viewed as recreational tools and cycling is considered the hobby of daring sportsmen.

Since 2010, when Tampines was officially declared Singapore's first cycling town, much has been done.

Dedicated cycling tracks - running parallel to main roads and through housing estates and parks - will cover a total of 9.3km by next year, with another 550m added by 2014.
auhcyelnats
auhcyelnats
Lance Corporal TKC-ian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down